Republican voters have spoken, it’s Trump 2016, but many sources report that efforts to draft a third-party candidate are under way within the GOP.
One potential candidate told CBS News, “the next three to four weeks are critical to figuring out if launching an independent bid is realistic”.
First reported by the Washington Post, GOP operatives (headed by Mitt Romney) are trying to sabotage the Trump campaign by bringing in another conservative candidate. Several names are being considered, including former Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and retired Army Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal. Star of the reality television show “Shark Tank” and billionaire investor Mark Cuban was floated as a possibility. Retired Marine Corps. Gen. James Mattis had been a serious possibility, but he declined a well.
The price tag to undermine Trump’s Campaign is estimated to cost more than $100 million. Organizers claim that this “party sabotage” wouldn’t require the force of a billion dollar campaign. It would be targeted, it wouldn’t play every battleground state, instead it would concentrate on media, attention from debates, and paid advertising.
Among the challenges these avid opponents of Trump face over the next few weeks is ballot access. They consulted advisers to former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, who shut the door on his own third-party bid in March, to devise their own strategy, but time is growing short.
On Sunday, RNC Chair Reince Priebus said that the attempts to draft a third-party candidate is a “suicide mission” for the GOP, and those operating within the party against Trump.
“I think what people should do is take the Paul Ryan approach which is to work with Donald Trump and find out whether or not there’s common ground … as opposed to blowing everything up,” Priebus said in an interview.
In my humble opinion:
I’ve been a conservative all my life. I was a member of the Young Republicans Club, and in the 8th grade I attended my first rally (Bush ’92) with my best friend Jason. It was the year Ross Perot split the conservative vote and handed the election to Bill Clinton. The same tactic the GOP is considering now in reverse, against the will of the voters.
If the GOP attempts to intentionally split the vote in this election, it will be handing the election to another Clinton. Trump has had overwhelming support among conservative voters, and the voters have spoken. If the GOP allows people within to fund a new candidate, and go against the enormous collective voice of conservative voters to elect Hillary Clinton simply out of hate for Donald Trump, I have no further use for the Republican Party. They’ll never see another dollar of mine.
As a conservative, I will always support the best candidate to safeguard the future of Our Country, but I will never support a Party that is not guided by the will of it’s constituents. The people have spoken: #Trump2016